Date: Tuesday 4th September 2007
Location: Venford Reservoir, Dartmoor
Weather: Sunny, bit cold
We eventually arrived at Venford Reservoir after a death defying drive by myself, Dolittle, Corrr!Tina, Jo were hiding in the seats as we raced the scenic way to Venford Reservoir cutting up Sixpack and Cinderfella in the process. I'm not sure why they think my driving is that bad, I am normally safe and slow maybe it's just the excitement of going hashing and being released for the night...who knows?
We listened to instructions from Doris, basically no long/short splits and no regroup. I must admit after running 11 1/2 miles on Sunday I didn't feel up to doing much running so I lagged very quickly to the back of the pack. I was introduced to Growbag's new friend en route and managed a quick handshake and then they were gone.
I spotted Maverick ahead and thought i'd stick close by as I was sure that he wouldn't be going too far. Sure enough Hatrack was soon in view as well and as we headed past the reservior (how do you spell reservoir that's it...) and up my legs started getting heavier and slower and I was soon shortcutting with a few others. We joined up with some of the group and then it was clear that the front runners had gone miles ahead and we could hear them hollering in the distance and when we saw their tiny bodies disappearing Maverick called a meeting with Hatrack and decided on the next plan of action. We said our farewells to Doris and set off back towards the reservoir.
'I'm looking for a gate' Hatrack said, 'it's this way' Off we set downwards (phew) through a herd of bemused cows and on towards the rusty fence that encompasses the reservoir. 'Here's the gate' Hatrack says gleefully pointing towards an even rustier gate that doesn't look as though it's been moved in decades. He struggles to open it and says the path is down here somewhere. I start giggling more with fear I think....and struggle to close the gate behind me. Hatrack has already disappeared into the 5ft high bracken and Maverick is nearly out of sight so I quickly follow the trampled down bracken and keep close. Down we go, we hear water and then eeuurrghhh wet muddy feet as we nearly disappear into a bog. 'Let's go to higher ground' says Hatrack.
We eventually find the path we need and find the gate we should have taken and set off anti clockwise round the reservoir. I need a wee so finally manage to stop and have one with comments from Hatrack about a mini tsunami in the reservoir. We finally emerge onto the road and meet up with some of the other hashers who were sensible enough to follow the trail laid by the hare. I finished with a bit of jogging up the road and back to the car to discuss big pants with Jo.
We arrive safely at the pub, The Tradesmans in Scorriton for a change! The down downs went to Jo, at last she has been named, Leaking Boots.....I like that one, to Doris for the trail and to Dancing Queen for some reason or other. Thankfully noone seemed to remember my driving but I won't hold my breath i'll probably get one next month for that one!
Maybe next week i'll have my go faster juice and feel less tired and do the full trail, or maybe Maverick and Hatrack who are the hares next week will lay a trail all of my very own complete with brambles, no pathway and bogs....only time will tell, till next week, take care and happy hashing....On On xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment