Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Hash #32

Date: Tuesday 28th August 2007
Location: Live and Let Live, Landscove
Weather: Sunny but cool wind
Our little group were depleted in numbers this week with Dolittle enjoying a nice holiday in Cambridge, Corrr!Tina was unwell, so it was Jo and I who headed towards landscove without a map, I had printed one off but left it at home in the kitchen. Inspite of the lack of map and the two van drivers who were wanting us to reverse out of the way we made it to the Live and Let Live pub car park in good time and all in one piece. We gathered into the circle and listened to Stumpy telling us about the trail. One long/short split, the long was 1 mile longer than the short and one regroup and we were to watch out for the chickens on the small farm. Off we set, in my infinite wisdom I decided to do the long. Up the road then cutting into the small farm with the poor chickens being decidedly shaken up by the passing of various legs.
Then it was down through a little orchard and a bog which took quite a few people by surprise with the amount of splattered legs that appeared before me while waiting to go over the first stily. Red Kevin found a gate further down and took that option closely followed by a few more. Then across a stubbly field and onto another stile. The pack was starting to spread out but I was more than pleased with my progress at keeping up so far. Over the next stile, Jo informed me that here was something I could get my leg over, I confirmed that she had indeed meant the stile and not poor Windy who was following me. Onto a road and a sporty type car trying to get past. Then the pack started to disappear, I could see Shortie and Head Down up ahead and as we went up the hill we were chased by a tractor type vehicle carrying some bales on some spikes. I told Jo to go on ahead so I was left to my own devices with a view of the back of the pack. Down a long stony lane with various patches of shiggy and the odd branch ready to grab you if you let it. I met Glass eye and Callum's Mum coming the other way, luckily for me they were walking with leg and arm injuries and I hadn't gone completely wrong. On up to a road and then into some wood. It was getting a bit dimpsy at this point and I thought i'd better get going else I would be getting lost. I soon came upon Shortie and HeadDown through some brambles and on down to the regroup. Stumpy was patiently waiting with the light fading with the jelly babies or were they fruit gums? I wasn't sure but they were very welcome. I had switched my head torch on as there were a few cars about, not on the lane but on the road and glad I was that I had it as it helped us on the last stretch home. The light was fading but a fantastic moon was shining orange through the clouds and as we got closer to Landscove the moon came out and made the run complete. After a section of road and fields we headed off down a footpath, Stumpy and I took the field side as it was easier to negotiate and waited for Shortie. Then once more onto the road before the final footpath on home to the pub car park, a chilled looking Jo was waiting for me and her key to get in her car. A lovely run, 6.3miles on my pedometer!!
The down downs were awarded to Red Kevin for not getting the words to Snow White in time, his excuse was his Talk Talk connnection...Stumpy for laying a very good virgin trail and Yes the last one went to me, Gurnie and what for, what was my misdemeanour? Well it was only because I'd taken a short cut with Hatrack and Maverick last week. Shame on you Maverick for dobbing in your partner in crime....I am still having trouble sleeping with all the caffeine in the coke but i'm sure i'll be alright again for next Tuesday, right off to write the words for Snow White and see if I can't get them to her on time.
So till next time take care and On On xx

No comments:

Post a Comment