Date: Tuesday 29th May 2007
Location: Lustleigh
Weather: sunny, threatening to rain but didn't!
This was our virgin lay this one. Dolittle and Four Sips had been doing it since 9.30 and I arrived at 12 after doing the gym with my two little ones.
I met up with them halfway round the long trail and started blobbing away, too many times for Four Sips liking, but I like to see lots of blobs on a hash. We had good fun laying the trail and got worried about how many injuries we would see at the end of the night.
So to the hash itself. I was very nervous when we were waiting to be called to order. Four Sips explained procedures, it was laid on the right except for where Gurnie had blobbed on the left! Two long/short splits and one regroup. Then we were off. I followed at the back, nothing unusual for me there then. Four Sips had gone back to the pub with the food order so I was left in charge of Syd. He quite happily followed me though wasn't sure where to go on the long/short split. It was funny to see people going off on the checks to see which way people would go and already knowing, but I wasn't letting on, I just stood back and watched and got my breath back. We came to a check and I had to go and do a bit of a short cut to get to the regroup before anyone else. Elmo met me going up as he was coming down and told me that that wasn't the right way, but then he realised who I was and ignored my speeding past him. I raced up the hill as fast as I could, listening to the other hashers shouting Are You? and On On and hoping that they wouldn't beat me. I sped down the road and opened the gate to retrieve the hidden rucksack. I laid out the strawberries, melon and cream and waited for the hash to arrive.
The bugs arrived first and I was fending ants and beetles and midges by the swarmful.
The first hashers arrived and soon the feeding frenzy started....that was the midges not the hashers. Not many people hung around at the regroup and it wasn't long before the plates were depleted of provisions and a very tired looking Dolittle appeared, not that far behind everyone. I think she did amazingly well to keep up like she did, i'd have been about an hour behind I think if I'd tried it.
We packed up the pots and kicked out the regroup leaving the area more or less as we'd found it and then set off to try and get back home. We mulled over how it was going so far and were pleasantly pleased (can you be such a thing) at having the overgrown path beaten down for us. We stopped at the car to get changed and headed off to the pub. We'd decided to treat ourselves to a meal but I could only face soup as I'd been so nervous about it all.
The down downs (we could have guessed it really!) were given to us for laying the trail, I think it was for the Brambles, to Growbag for his 100th hash...well done Growbag and many apologies for the state of your legs, although mine were pretty bad as well having done the laying of the trail in shorts....picture to follow.... the other one was awarded to Zambeze for running so quickly..
Everyone seemed to enjoy it and we did gets lots of thank yous so we can't have done too badly, thank you Four Sips for your guidance and help with this one, we couldn't have done it without you, next time we'll choose the venue but you can still tell us off if we blob too much!!
Till next time, keep safe, remember to pack the cream for next week's rub down and On On.....
No comments:
Post a Comment