Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Naming ceremony

Tuesday 27th March
The Carpenters - Ilsington

Why is it when i'm typing that i'm singing in my head...."we've only just begun" and "I'm on the top of the world etc etc "

So the hash was great, we walked to the pub with a little trepidation and got ourselves our drinks. We went to stand next to Maverick and he started discussing with Red Kevin about the down downs and I can remember looking at Karen and thinking well we aren't going to be named tonight and with a little disappointment but some relief we went to eat Four Sips' chips for her. At her request I hasten to add. We sat discussing wool, socks and knitting patterns and vegetarianism and generally putting the world to rights when we heard those two words for silence. Hash Hush.

Four Sips moved closer to the rest of the hashers so Karen and I decided to join her and stood at the back. Maverick started by recalling a couple of mishaps and then he said those fatal words...."we've got two young ladies..." I can remember swallowing hard and turning round to look at the wall behind me. It wasn't the fact that this could well be our time for being named, it was more the fact that I was being called a young lady!! ;)
We were requested to step forward and with Karen muttering oh no, oh gawd we took our places at Maverick's side.
He had three choices for my name, Blog, Blogger or Gurnie. Someone who i'm not going to mention ( Foursips!) had been giving out some inside information and had told the hash that all my photos on my blog were of me gurning. Most of the hash decided that Gurnie it would be and with someone singing Ernie and he drove the fastest milkcart in the west, I had to laugh. I was actually pleased with the name, Gurning is a Cumbrian passtime and as I was brought up in Cumbria it was quite appropriate.

I was handed a half pint of something which looked like weak orange squash and Maverick turned to Karen. Her name turned out to be Doolittle as she has an affinity with animals and a houseful of them. Apparently a French lady had previously been called Doolittle when she had been caught asking a cow for directions in the mist and had been named that night, but noone had seen her again so it was decided that Karen should be Doolittle and she was handed her half pint of suspicious looking liquid. The third pint was handed to another gentleman who I didn't catch the name of as I was trying to work out how I was going to drink half a pint quickly without making a mess, or making myself sick.

The song started and we commenced the drinking. It tasted awful and I can remember feeling the drink dribbling down my chin and dripping down into my bra...I was thinking what a lovely sight I must look now. I looked over at Doolittle and realised that in my anxiety over drinking the yukky stuff i'd gone too quickly and my solidarity of drinking at the same time had gone by the board. OOps so sorry Doolittle, it won't happen again. Anyway it was soon all over and we had got our names. Doris and Rambo came to show us the attire we could buy with our new names on them and we ordered a t-shirt each.

So there you have it Karen and Ruth have become Doolittle and Gurnie. We could start some sort of law firm or detective agency with those names. Doolittle and Gurnie, pet detective agency at your service.


For those of you who wonder what Gurning is all about or whether I was correctly named i've attached a couple of pictures.. I'll leave you to decide.

Just want to add that if anyone is reading this and wondering about starting hashing then do. I have enjoyed every minute of it so far and for someone who doesn't run and doesn't drink and doesn't do going to pubs, that's a big thing!








See I take quite a nice picture I think hehehe


1 comment: