Saturday, February 14, 2015

So the anniversary is upon us again and who can believe it is 5 years since I heard the Dr say 'I'm sorry you're Mum has only got half an hour to live' I relive those moments sometimes at night in my dreams I'm fighting once again with Mum to keep her here with me, sometimes just re-running it in my head. That long, dragging run down the corridor to get to her, the urgent calling to get the vicar to her. Trying to remember the Lord's Prayer and holding her hand tightly whilst whispering in her ear how much she means to me. The silence that fell as the last machine was switched off. The desolation and despair as we drove back home and the anguish of having to tell two young boys that their Nanny wasn't going to be coming home again. Explaining to Oli how some people don't get better when they go to hospital.

Never has my life changed so much so rapidly....there have been some really low points for me over the last few years, being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, brought on through having Post traumatic stress disorder through losing Mum. She really wouldn't have wanted that to happen and I battle everyday to prevent it from stopping me living my life and enjoying my family.

Teasel has been diagnosed with Cushing's disease.....treatable but not the worst case scenario, I really couldn't have coped with losing her so close to this date.

Everywhere people are celebrating Valentine's Day, it's lovely to see but hard to get caught up in the celebrations when all I feel is numb and empty.

The times I have reached for the phone to ring Mum to tell her some news or ask her advice, the times I have wished she was here just for one more day to have one more hug, one more laugh. See her smile and call me her darling girl.

The hardest thing about feeling this pain is knowing that there are others out there who are feeling just as desolate, who cared about her just as much as I did.

I wrote a poem again today as I sat in the sunshine on the bench in the cemetery.

Have you finished?

Sun shines, grieving paused
As other people enter the silence of our heartbreak
I sit and wait
Heartache on hold
Pen poised
Waiting
Seagulls squawking
Blackbirds banter
I sit and wait
Calmness approaches
A wind blows 
Reminding me I'm not alone
Brushing my cheek as you once would have done
Inspiration ceases with a blackbird's whistle
You are not alone in your sadness
Other's hearts ache as yours aches
Tears wiped away we bid each other a cheery hello as we can manage
'Have you finished with the watering can?'
Then move and on with life we go.



No comments:

Post a Comment