Today - January 2nd we took Theo and Oli to Plymouth Aquarium, after buying our tickets online we went to the fasttrack desk and went in. We were advised to go straight to the coral reef as they were doing a dive in there. I've been to the Aquarium a few times and had always come away feeling sorry for the turtle who seemed to spend all it's time swimming in an odd fashion round and round in circles....well i'm glad we went to see 'the dive' because a very nice lady explained that the turtle had been washed up and they had rescued it as a baby, it had got eyesight problems and balance problems and that was the main reason for it's funny swimming with it's bum in the air. So I was relieved. The divers removed the turtle and cleaned the tank side with sponges and then went on to feed some of the sharks and fish within the tank. There is obviously a Mighty Boosh fan at the Aquarium as one of the fish was called Naboo and one was called Boosh! The Boosh fish apparently likes to lie on the bottom of the tank to clean itself in the grit and changes colour....hmmm. Onwards we went and saw Dory and Nemo well similar fish but Theo and Oli aren't to know then a very odd looking frog fish who changed position so I could get a better shot of it!
Here he is in all his glory..at least I'm saying he's male, she may be a she in which case I apologise for the error but i'm not sure how to tell the sex of a frog fish!
We continued to the biggest tank at the aquarium and I impressed the boys with my knowledge of fish names, little did they know I was using the nice electronic gadget behind us on the wall which was displaying the names to tell them what they were. We had some nice encounters with the fish who I swear were posing for the camera!
Here is the Ray and erm I think it's a sulky cod!
This one kept coming back for more although it may have been a different one!
We went on round to the sharks next and had a picture taken with them right by us, Theo and Oli were very brave to say the least as last year they didn't want to get up close and personal with them.

Then it was up to the top for a mess about in the technical side of things which Theo and Oli weren't too enthralled with, although the mini film about the sinking of the Scylla was very interesting and Oli and Theo were quite amused about it being sunk not only once but twice! That was because we stayed reading the information on the walls so the film went round twice. We then decided to go for a drink and sit down and were pleasantly surprised to find a soft play area which Theo and Oli played in while Daddy and I had a nice drink...well it would have been nice had their drinks machine been working. They could make a tea or coffee but no hot chocolate...had they not heard about pouring hot water into some hot chocolate before? bah on you!!
Theo was very brave and went down the curly wurly slide all on his own and over the rope bridge bit. Oli was a little more timid when it came to the climbing but a bigger boy hit his lip (by accident I think) he came out to us and told us about it and said to me that he didn't say he was sorry and I said well he should have done really even if it was an accident. Oli went pottering back into the play area and went up to the bigger boy and told him that he should say sorry as he'd hurt his lip...then he came trooping back out to us to inform us that the boy had now said he was sorry!! :o)
Finally when Oli plucked up the courage to join Theo on the uppper deck of the play area he spotted a tall man who had just arrived and shouted down to me in a big voice...Mummy he's a a very large man!!
After half an hour play we led the way to the shop, with a little resistance from Oli who didn't see why we should be taking them home when they were having so much fun. He did cheer up though when Daddy showed him the squidgy octopus that he was allowed to buy, Theo bought a puffa fish and back home we went.
It was a lovely day out and although I was a tad miffed about the lack of hot chocolate about the place I was glad to know that there was no cruelty to turtles taking place! And I was even brave enough to go near the sharks as well!!

THE END




No comments:
Post a Comment