Date: 25th September 2007
Location: Haytor upper car park
Weather: BRRRR
I remembered my shoes, I remembered my head torch. I forgot my thermal underwear, scarves, hat and gloves and I forgot to keep my hand down when Grasshopper asked for a volunteer to do the words. I think it must have been down to the freezing wind blowing through my ears and affecting my brain. Who knows anyway that's what happened before we'd even started running and i'd just sorted with Maverick and Hatrack that I was going to be sticking with them tonight in my apprenticeship of the Shortcut masters.
We had arrived in the car park and sat inside waiting until Leaking Boots decided to get out and leave all the doors open to let us freeze inside. I ventured out to sign out and then we were called to order by Rick O'Shea. We stood about shivering and quivering like flies that had landed on one of those sunflowers that you can stick to your windows to kill them. I prefer the long sticky things that hang down and get caught up in people's hair and faces but that's a completely different story all together.
Where was I , oh yes we all stood there shivering and hopping up and down, all that is except Starsky who was well equipped for the cold and had even brought his brolly in case it rained! Several virgins were introduced very quickly as they were starting to turn blue at this point I think. Grasshopper told us about the two long/short splits and the regroup in shelter. We set off heading towards Haytor Rock and Vindaloo passed me saying Haytor Heller. I had to grin as i'd been thinking the same thing myself, only this time running up the hill didn't seem half as arduous. Am I really getting fitter or is it just that I've been tucking into my go faster juice too much. I did have to give in and walk as we got closer to the top and although i'd not seen any flour I was informed that indeed we were on the right track. No Rush rushed downhill in hot pursuit of Callum shouting that they were supposed to be going uphill not down. I watched as most of the hash started to disappear over the top out of sight then Grasshopper bellowed from down below and to the left that it was On On over there. Dolittle and I shouted and hollered but nobody could hear with the driving wind so we gave up and headed after the hare, safer that way. We set off downhill with Sweep being knocked over by the Doberman which was careering about. She was alright though thankfully. It was at this point that I realised that there were several little groups forming in different directions all shouting On On, I headed towards the bigger of the groups and had to cut through some gorse and heather. There were shouts of "Are You?" "on on" and "where's the hare?", suddenly Grasshopper appeared and we all got back on track again. It was very pretty though seeing so many twinkly lights, put me in mind of Christmas....how many more shopping days are there now? The long/short split sent two trails of light off in different directions and for a while the shorts soldiered on, heading back towards well where we'd just come from. Wandering aimlessly looking for some inspiration we finally found some in Grasshopper as he shouted back to check, oops we missed that one, I seemed to get to the front, not sure how well maybe it was the little voice telling me to go that way...definitely not any hints from any hares i'm sure. Then round we ran and up into a gully, a rest from the wind, a jelly baby or two, a dog fight and a good regroup. Then it was on up to the second long/short split. Again surprisingly I found myself at the front of the pack, note to self go and buy more of that go faster juice from BIKUS! Talking of which they are now my favourite most friendly bike shop around...when I can find their details i'll get them on my links.
Right where was I? Oh yes on Haytor chewing jelly babies. Windy was up ahead and Dolittle as we headed towards Haytor rock, I thought it would soon be over, how wrong could I be, the trail went off to the left towards Haytor Down and down we went. We kept running until we came to a cross and back up the hill we went only to find that a cheeky cow had been hiding the check from us. The trail sent us round the back of the quarry then through it, Doris telling me she'd been in there swimming. It was a lovely sight with the moonlight falling on the water. Through the quarry out of the gate and back to where the cross had been, cheeky Grasshopper. I luckily spotted a blob of flour off to the right and we were soon heading back to the cars. A quick change in the cold and it was off to Ashburton and The Exeter Inn for the On Down. Alice was the RA and he awarded down downs to Sweep for her altercation with the doberman, I think the down down should have gone to the man with the dog, or the dog myself. Then Foxy Dog got one for falling last week and for it being his last hash for a while as he's off to University. Other down downs could have been awarded to Brassic for running in his trousers as he'd forgotten to bring his shorts and to Misshap for losing a shoe.
It was a great hash, very nice to see the moon and to actually see haytor this time round even though it was dark.
Till next week, On On xx
Hiya Gurnie! I've been ill/busy etc these last (three? has it really been THREE?) weeks. Season's greetings if I don't see you before Xmas.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHave you given up on this blogging lark? Now your ankle is resting you should have plenty of time. Oh alright - with two chidlers and two dogs you never have enough time, right? Get back to running soon me ol' mate.
ReplyDelete