Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hash #31


Date: Tuesday 21st August 2007

Location: Manaton church car park

Weather: warm, cloudy but some sunshine

We arrived in plenty of time and sat in the car watching other hashers getting out before we decided to make our move. There were a few announcements and then over to Sixpack for information on what to expect. There was a long/short split and a regroup and two triangles warning of a road and a bog. I felt quite energetic tonight and wanted to see if I could run all the way round, unfortunately fate played another hand and that didn't happen. I hung back to help No Rush getting Callum? over the stile which another dog had done it's doodooh's on. Then hung back to help them under a gate. By which time most of the hash had gone on ahead so I stayed with No Rush and we made good progress. We bumped into "twister" i'm not sure of his name but he injured himself doing the twist. On we went through the woods and on, I could see Hatrack and Maverick in front and decided i was far enough away from everyone to have a wee, I was just finishing when Floss appeared. He'd got lost and gone over the river thinking some foam was some flour, I didn't laugh because i'd made that mistake but as I wasn't in the mood for a soaking i'd continued up the path to find the proper flour trail. Hatrack and Maverick were deciding to do a short cut when I caught up with them and as the light was fading and I hadn't got my torch I decided that I would join them. We walked up a hill following the indirect route to manaton. Then Floss appeared again, he said he was too far behind the others so thought he'd join us. He jogged on in front and Hatrack decided that walking on a path was far too easy so we followed him off into the woods and got deeper and deeper into bracken and brambles until Maverick found a gateway that led into someone's back garden. That someone was out in the garden and her dog took exception to 3 strangers arriving from out of nowhere. I'll never forget the look on her face as Maverick asked her the way to the church with Hatrack appearing with his new hat donated by Rambo earlier on, a lady's hat with beads on. She explained to Maverick that she couldn't really direct us to the church as there weren't any paths in that area but if we went down her garden and out of the side gate then we would be back on the road.

This picture was taken of Maverick and Hatrack disappearing into the undergrowth somewhere around Manaton. Now I'm glad I carry my phone with me!

On the road I was entertained with stories from Hatrack and Maverick about times that they had been lost before. It was a very good adventure and I had lots of fun. I even got back to the car park before Growbag!

Then it was on to the Kestor Inn for the On Down. Down Downs went to Josh who was being named Sucker for losing his shoe, Brown Clown as it was his last hash with Ashburton, Sixpack for laying the trail and Bog Down for being caught by her partner Almost when she'd fallen in the or nearly fell in the mud.

A very enjoyable evening and thanks for the memories Hatrack and Maverick....till next time On On x

No comments:

Post a Comment