Date: Tuesday 19th June 2007
Location: Fingle Bridge
Weather: Dry after lots and lots of rain
We arrived in Fingle Bridge and parked up, we saw some familiar faces and some not so familiar and got out to wait for the instructions. After a group photo on the bridge we were told that there was one long/short split that the hash wasn't going to be short and that it was going to be hilly.
I wasn't feeling in the fittest of moods tonight with hardly any sleep all week and tummy upsets and suchlike but thought i'd give it my best shot. We set off along by the river and it wasn't too bad. With a hint or two from Ollie we headed on upwards towards the sky. And up we went and up some more. I radiated to the back of the pack as is usual and watched people disappearing ahead of me. I had a bit of a panic with my breathing at one point and with the help of Four Sips and her breath using your stomach I did manage to inhale the breath I needed and gained some control. It was just before that point that I was wondering what on earth I was doing trying to move quickly uphill...I couldn't even pretend that I was jogging at that point. Just when I was about to give up all hope of ever reaching the top the hash turned off to the right and downhill. Hurrah I cried only to be disappointed a little while later when it headed uphill again. I was in close proximity to Four Sips and Puffball which was quite heartening then lo! what sound through yonder trees do I hear? Oh Yes 'tis the one and only Growbag and his trip trapping feet, running UPHILL!!!! As he sailed past with his jolly hello I felt decidedly unfit, but peculiarly spurred on to make more of an effort. I felt slightly better about life when Ruff Puff and Grasshopper (I think) were spotted behind. Ruff Puff pulled a face as he passed as if to say 'this is hard work tonight'
I waited for the rest of the longs to pass me but there was a gap and then as I was descending down a rocky path I heard a strange barking sound behind. I turned to see Sneezy and another hasher (apologies I didn't take note who you were!) They passed then it was a little while before Mr Maa's Bah....sorry don't know your name....came by through the woods and the many hurdles of logs and tree trunks that lay in the way.
Down we went, and down back to the side of the river. I was starting to feel rather tired at this point but plodded on, then eventually spotted the re group. With beer and chocolate I decided to abstain and had a peach ring sweetie thing which hit the spot for the last little plod to On Home. It was at this point that I felt my shorts and realised there was something on them so I raised my leg to get a better look through steamed up glasses and nearly wiped out Head Down with my knee. I apologised profusely but there was no harm done....The trail led us to cross the river and I did try and got nearly halfway but with all the rain over the last few days it was running fast and I was worried I might be swept away, so I reluctantly turned round and crossed the bridge with everyone else.
Back to the car to get changed, then to the pub. We chatted about our training and the runs we are doing. Then the down downs, I was awarded one for my assault on Head Down but thankfully Elmo stepped in at the last minute and did it for me, I need to get a badge made with can't drink alcohol for medical reasons.....but thank you Elmo you saved the day and I won't forget that in a hurry, a true gentleman. The other down downs were awarded to JJ who had had a birthday the day before and to Ruff Puff for keeping his new shoes clean for a run the following day.
Ollie was awarded a down down in his new tankard as he is leaving the area and moving to Worcester a week on Monday. I will be sad to see him go, he is another gentleman and in the words of Bridget Jones we will be losing one of our top people! Take care Ollie, keep in touch and I look forward to running with you sometime in Worcester, when I can work out where it is...never any good at geography.
So thanks for a good, long, hilly hash till next time, keep safe, keep running and On On
No comments:
Post a Comment