Saturday, April 04, 2020

Covid -19 has arrived

So it's been the weirdest couple of weeks in teaching.
Let me get you up to speed. I'm a teacher, passed my NQT year last year, was a student the year before and now I'm teaching in a Year 1/2 class in Devon.
I am loving it.
Then coronavirus arrived - via Wuhan in China, passed onto humans by someone eating bats apparently but it's here and it's affecting everyone's lives.
I am currently on my 'Easter Holidays' but went into work on Thursday to look after keyworker children.
You see the coronavirus is quite deadly it's killing lots of people, affecting many thousands more and everyone is now in lockdown at home. Apart from the people who are needed to keep the country moving - the food shops, the milkmen, the posties, the nurses and doctors are superheroes and the teachers providing their childcare. The other keyworkers are out there doing their bit too. The elderlies are stuck inside for 12 weeks and not allowed to be visited by children or any other visitors this is to protect them from getting the virus because they are more at risk of dying.
Hospitals have been changed, they are moving cancer patients to smaller, clean hospitals and sorting out the other hospitals ready for the onslaught of the pandemic. There are temporary morgues being built to accommodate the dead people.
If I was writing a book this could be a good place to start but this is real and life has got really quite scary.
The children are at home, unless they are old enough to stay at home or are keyworker children then they have to go into school to have home learning lessons. GCSEs have been cancelled and they will get their results based on how well they have done so far and their predicted grades. This affects Theo but he's ok about it as he's tried really hard and done well so far.
Oli is working well too but as it's the Easter Holidays neither of them have got work so they are meeting their friends online and playing games, they are lucky, they come from the internet era so they are coping well. They get to go outside in the garden and they get to do a daily bike ride locally.

I am working on a rota and then working from home, I'm videoing myself reading stories for the children, this helps to give them a familiar voice and face in their homes to help them feel connected to school and it helps keep me busy so I don't worry too much.
We can't go shopping, we can't buy things that aren't necessary anymore. We are spending more time as a family eating, playing games when we aren't working.
Life is weird but we are all still connected.
The in-laws get to talk to us via WhatsApp which is fun and means they get company and get to see their family.

I've revived my  blog to post on here what I can't post in social media - I'm hoping it will be a good reference when I'm teaching the children of the future all about the coronavirus.

It will keep me busy.

One last piece of news though - my Auntie Brenda is now in a care home with advancing dementia, she hasn't got a clue about any of this and doesn't really know who I am anymore. She has been in lockdown for a long time now and has developed a cough, the symptoms of Covid -19 are prolonged cough, headaches and temperature. She may have it, she may not. I do not want her to die without saying goodbye properly but I may have to and that makes me so sad.
Keep safe everyone, stay at home, we are in this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment