Today I mowed our lawn. Not anything unusual about that you might say, but after I had three injuries from mowing the lawn I wondered how many other unusual injuries people could get from a garden implement. Not the cutting fingers, or hitting finger with a hammer type injury i'm looking more for the injuries that you wouldn't normally associate with that particular tool.
I started the mower, we have a petrol mower that takes ages to start especially when you forget to fill it with petrol first, which is what happened once. A kind gentleman who lives up the road was passing and I asked for some assistance in starting it. He asked me if I had filled it with petrol and guess what when I filled it with petrol it started first time, he always gives me a smile now that says "Yep you were the one who doesn't fill a petrol mower with petrol and expects it to start!" But that's another story, I want to return to today's little episode.
So in order of hilarity and pain, injury number one was headbutting the eucalyptus tree backwards. I forgot I'd just ducked to get under the branch and went backwards and hit my head on the tree. That hurt but not for long. Injury number two, I was reversing down the hilly bit of the garden with the mower on and forgot that i'd built a sandpit only a few weeks ago, I tripped backwards on the sandpit, tried to stop myself falling over by putting my hand on the wall, my wrist gave way and I ended up headbutting the wall. Luckily for me the sandpit stopped the mower going over my feet!! That hurt quite badly and my wrist is still a bit sore.
Injury number three and for those of you who know me (DON'T LAUGH!) So the mower is started and I am just about to pull the handle up to move forward, I see something in the grass, is it a bone?, is it a stone? is it a stick? OUUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH I only managed to trap my nipple in the lever as I pulled it up and gripped it.......luckily I did have my bra on and my top on but it still bloomin' hurt. So now I have the record for the silliest injury caused by a lawn mower. Squashed nipple! Beat that anyone and I will gladly give you the record. My nipple is still a little tender as we speak but as this may be being read by people with children and people of a nervous disposition then I will end this rambling now so as not to offend. Note to self: Leave the lawnmowing to Daddy from now on!

This is the type of lawn mower we have and you can see the handle with the two levers on either side. The front one gets the engine going and the back one moves it forward. That's the offending part of the machine that got me!! Apart from that it's a very nice mower and will eat up most things in it's path.
No comments:
Post a Comment